Review this page for the latest impacts on worship & other Grace UMC activities.
September 12, 2021 Update: While we are only mandating masks in one section of the sanctuary, we do encourage everyone to wear masks in worship because of the increasing Covid numbers. We are balancing public safety concerns with personal responsibility. Remember also that online worship is a great option for anyone concerned about Covid exposures in public settings.
- Grace now offers two morning worship services in the Sanctuary at 9 AM and 11 AM and both are streamed live on our Facebook page, with a link to the Facebook services also posted on the website Sermons page. The 9 AM service is now our Traditional Service and the 11 AM has transitioned to a Modern Style Service. Check out both and choose the one you and your family like best.
- At 10 AM each Sunday, between the two services, we have small group options for all ages, including our Children’s time with Ms. Niki that continues with Children’s church at 11 AM.
- We also are holding our gathering for all ages called “The Five” in the Fellowship Hall or outdoors on the church grounds each Sunday evening at 5 PM.
- While masks are optional for those coming to Grace, we do encourage everyone to wear a mask indoors due to rising COVID cases. We recommend masks for those who are unvaccinated and due to the increase of the Delta variant and break-through cases even in those who have been fully vaccinated, we are encouraging everyone to wear a mask.That is based on the latest CDC guidance, which defines fully vaccinated as two weeks out from their final COVID-19 vaccination.
- For those who choose to wear a mask, for any reason, you are welcome to sit anywhere within the sanctuary. We will also offer a dedicated mask-only seating section on the east side of the sanctuary in front of the organ. We are trying to ensure that everyone who steps foot on our campus or in our buildings has a way to feel safe when they are here.
- Please keep in mind as you are using our facility, we will still encourage mask wearing. As Christians, our job is to make sure we are not a stumbling block to anyone. There are still many who are unable to get the vaccine for medical reasons. Please be sensitive to everyone and the needs they have as we continue to meet all the needs of our congregation and community members. We will also continue our deep cleaning and sanitizing fogging of our rooms and sanctuary to ensure their cleanliness.
- When in-person communion is offered, participation is optional. Those who want to participate in communion will approach the server and hold out one hand to receive their bread dipped in juice, which they should wait to eat until they’ve returned to their seat. (There will only be two servers, wearing masks and gloves).
- Congregational singing returned May 1st, so feel free to sing along if you wish.
How to Watch Sunday Worship, Video Devotionals & Sunday School
Worship will be streamed on the church Facebook page each Sunday at 9 AM and at 11 AM unless the service time has been changed as noted on the Events Calendar. You can also WATCH SUNDAY WORSHIP on the Grace Sermons webpage. View weekly video devotionals and Sunday School lessons on Facebook.
The Latest on Grace UMC & In-Person Worship
Grace has been offering an in-person worship service with safety protocols in place. Friends, we need your prayers, your patience, and your cooperation as we move forward. We will continue to offer online worship each week, and in fact, we recommend that anyone who is in a high-risk category, for any reason, consider staying home for the foreseeable future. The last thing we want is for someone to get Covid-19 because of coming to worship. Review the mask guidelines above. We may have a soloist singing in the sanctuary services and the soloist will maintain a safe distance from the congregation, pursuant to COVID guidelines. As of May 1st, we allowed the return of congregational singing first with masks on, and now without masks for those who are fully vaccinated, so feel free to sing along if you are inspired to do so. Please continue to follow all of the guidelines we’ve put in place:
- Enter the sanctuary only through the center doors.
- When exiting, exit as the ushers guide you, leaving space between people.
- Sit where the ushers instruct you.
- Some pews will not be used to ensure social distancing.
- Offering baskets will be available as you enter and exit.
Please notify the church by calling 321-452-2420 if you test positive for Covid, especially after attending a service or other activity at Grace. We want to assist with any needs you may have, add you to our prayer list and also carefully monitor any potential exposures for others.
If you have tested positive, we look forward to your return to in-person activities at Grace once you have consulted with your doctor on clearance to return. Current CDC guidelines indicate you can end self-quarantine once you have met these three requirements: You have no fever for at least 24 hours without the use of any fever reducing medicine; Your symptoms have improved; and it has been at least 10 days since your first symptoms started.
Florida Conference Bishop Kenneth Carter has posted frequent updates. Read the latest Conference Update. Grace’s reopening effort is led by Senior Pastor Steve Hart and Associate Pastor Beth Burton and involves the entire church staff plus members of the congregation. Our Pastors are carefully monitoring the local numbers in our area of Brevard. We will communicate updates as they are available here, through the emailed Gracevine newsletter, on our Facebook page and in other ways as needed to keep our congregation informed.
Grace Church Office Open Monday – Thursday, Reduced Hours
The Grace UMC church office is open Monday through Thursday from 9 AM to 3 PM. If any church members wish to meet at the church for prayer, Bible study, etc, we ask that you call and make an appointment reservation.
We ask that church members wear masks if they are not fully vaccinated when coming for meetings, and we do designate which rooms people use so that there is enough space for social distancing.
During hours when the church is not open, we want you to be able to get in touch with Pastor Steve Hart or Pastor Beth Burton to pass on prayer concerns or if you are homebound and need another church member to run an errand, such as picking up and dropping off groceries. Call the church office at 321-452-2420 and follow the prompts and you will be connected with Pastor Steve’s or Pastor Beth’s personal phone. You can also send an email to email@example.com which is being monitored
Food Pantry, Preschool and Other Impacts
The Grace Food Pantry IS OPEN each Thursday from 9 AM to noon for residents in need. There are modifications in place to protect the health of all involved. The first Thursday of each month is government food day and the Pantry is open to all Brevard County residents. On all other Thursdays, the pantry is limited to residents of Merritt Island.
The Grace Clothing Closet is typically open each Thursday as well from 9 AM to noon, with one person allowed in to “shop” at at time for 5 minutes each in order to maintain safe social distancing.
Food Pantry Donation Items: Members of the Grace Family: Please use the same 9 AM to noon window each Thursday to drop off non-perishable Food Pantry items including: canned meat, canned vegetables and fruit, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pasta, rice and cereal and shelf-stable milk (the non-refrigerated cartons). You can drop off pet food as well. On Thursday, if you want to drop off a church tithing check, you can do that as well and those can also be mailed and online giving continues uninterrupted.
Quarterly Country Store: Please donate items to support this quarterly event. Please leave the items donated in the Fellowship Hall in the container marked for Country Store.
Laundry detergent, bleach, body wash, deodorant, Dish washing soap, paper products (tissues and paper towels), trash bags, aluminum foil, quart-size plastic bags, Comet, Scrubbing bubbles, toilet cleaner, liquid hand soap, shampoo and conditioner, 409 cleaner, sponges and any other cleaning supplies. We need Cat and dog food.
The Grace Preschool follows Brevard Public School closures and is keeping parents posted here and via the Preschool Group attached to our Grace Facebook page. The preschool will open in August with revised guidelines. There is no before and after care and no lunch bunch. Teachers wear masks and children ages 3 and up can if you want them to. 2-year-olds are not allowed to wear masks for safety reasons under Dept. of Children and Families and CDC guidelines. Please reach out to Ms. Patti if you have questions.
We encourage you to stay connected with family and friends by phone and social media. We can avoid Isolation and loneliness by reaching out. And as always, find comfort in prayer and God’s love.